Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Problem with Maine's Assistant Attorney General

Going through the news, I almost didn't click on this story. But, I couldn't resist. After the first couple of paragraphs I was about to click away to something else, then this quote caught me off guard:

"You just don't hold a gun to someone's head and pull the trigger without making sure it's not loaded. And at the moment he pulled the trigger, he didn't know."

If the reporting is accurate, that was spoken by the Assistant Attorney General. I have a problem with that. Why would an Assistant Attorney General think it is OK to point a gun at someone's head and pull the trigger EVEN IF they know that the gun is unloaded? How about not pointing the gun at someone's head in the first place!

It definitely speaks to the woeful inadequacy of firearms education in this country when one of the top law enforcement officials in a state believes that it is OK to point a gun at someone's head and pull the trigger if it is unloaded. In case you didn't know, its not OK. Learn the four rules of firearm safety and don't be afraid to teach your children about them. And please, don't elect people who don't know what the four rules are or their proper application.

And I thought Maine had a culture of firearms ownership. Guess I can be wrong every now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment