Monday, January 31, 2011

These are Mutually Exclusive Concepts

Sometimes even the politicians come up with statements that are absolutely amazing in their complete disdain for logic.

"If the president is going to ask us to increase the debt limit, then he's going to have to be willing to cut up the credit cards" - Speaker Boehner

Let's see how this works. Pretend for instance that I make $210,000 a year and I have credit card debt of $1.4 million, partly because for the last few years I have been spending close to $400,000 a year. Now my wife decides to put her foot down and say enough is enough. I beg and plead for her to have our credit card limit increased to $1.6 million, because if we don't then we will have to declare bankruptcy. She capitulates as long as I cut up the credit card.

Huh? So if I cut up the credit card...how then does increasing my credit limit to $1.6 million stave off bankruptcy?

This is the exact situation that Boehner finds himself in (just add some extra zeros to my numbers above). Perhaps Congress and the President could use a little refresher course in budgeting 101, maybe even a session with the Consumer Credit Counseling Service.

For those of you who had hoped that the Republicans were going to turn things around, you were sorely mistaken.

1 comment: